When I was at my parents for Christmas, we were visiting one of their neighbors who owned an old style mechanical clock. It was simple, a small box with the clock face, and the pendulum and weights coming out the bottom of the clock. It got me thinking that I could build one with the same principles in LEGO Technic. Here are the goals I had for the clock, in priority order:
- Accurate, within a few seconds per hour.
- All of the key operating mechanisms should be visible at the front of the clock.
- Be able to wind the clock without interrupting the operation.
- Be able to change the time easily.
- The pendulum should have a period of 1 second.
- It should run for at least one hour.
After a few weeks of tinkering, I have met all the above goals, and have the clock running for 4 hours!
Read more »